Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Future


Remember when I was younger, in high school, when my counseling teacher (is that a right term?) passed on each student a piece of paper with questions on it. Simple questions, no exact answers. And no grade, which make this test fun.

I don't remember all of the questions, but I remember this particular question: describe yourself in five, 10 and 15 years from now. At that time, I find those questions are fun and let my mind wanders, that I will be an undergraduate students in five years, get a great job in ten years and get to buy a house and a nice car in 15 years. Yeah, I'm so not creative :).

But now, I'm in my late 20's (alright, I'm 29) and still haven't figured it out what I want in the future which is not so distant now. And I got anxious. I just realized, I don't know what I want anymore.

Simple exhibit: I always complain about my job, how underpaid I am and how lousy the job actually is. But when asked what kind of other job do I want, I went speechless. I don't know. And to be really honest, I don't want another job. I like this one.

So I chatted with a friend. I casually asked him what he see in his future. This friend of mine is a serious guy and hard worker journalist. And I ask him, "What do you want in your future?"

He shocked me with his answers. Instead of being clueless like me, he gave me this long list what he wants, and what he has to achieved. And that list includes, having a beautiful wife and cute kids who love their grandparents. How sweet is that? :)

I must say, I'm impressed. For such a young guy (I think he just graduated from university a year ago) he already make plans for his life ahead. And he reminds me of my time after school. I wasn't thinking about what I have to achieve (let along cute guys with beautiful kids), I was in the mood of adventuring, figuring out what the world is like, traveling, writing, have a little fun, spend some hard-earned salary.. But this young guy, boy.. does he know how to have fun? ha ha...

But he did make me thinking. I really should rethinking my future. Really. Should.

ps: I still want to be an astronaut, but being realistic, that is not a choice for me.. :)

No comments: