Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Simple Together

"What's in a name? That which we call a rose, by any other name would smell as sweet," Romeo Montague once protested. He was in love with Juliet Capulet, from the family clan's enemy. But then, as we cry and laugh in this immortal story by Shakespeare, we learned that the story ends tragic. But for me, it's also had a happy ending. The one when Romeo decided he would pursue his love, stood against his whole family, and die for his believe. His love.

What's in ethnicity? What's in a race? What's in a citizenship? I got nothing against all of it. For me, it's hard enough to find someone who share my believe in romance, in coupling, so when I find one, I hold on to my believe. I'd hold on to him. Love him, trust him, try to free him to be himself..

But apparently, there's something about ethnicity. In this country with more than 17 thousands island, hundreds of ethnic and languages, there are still some things need to be considered about loving someone from a different ethnic.

My future in laws doesn't like the fact that I'm a Maduranese. They are Sundanese. I came from an island with tough people who believes in hard work, they came from beautiful mountains with beautiful skin, gentle manners and not so much of a hard work. They have a rich land. There's a song who can describe their land, it said, throw a stick and stone and watch them grow become plants. I came from a dry land, where only cassava, corn and tobacco can grow rich. We eat fish, they eat their garden. I mean, vegetables.. :D

Six months ago, a friend of his father approached him, asked simple question as, "So, is your eldest son still seeing that girlfriend of his?" Yes. "Have you seen her?" Yes. "Is she wearing a veil?" No.

And... the casual questions led to dangerous scene. For me, at least. The father's friend then said, "Ooohh.. that's not good. The one who's wearing a veil (jilbab ini Bahasa) can be not so good, so the one who's not wearing it should be worse.."


And the stories goes, about how vicious Maduranese people are. There's this story about young Maduranese woman who's married to another ethnic man, and she choked her husband to death in his sleep. Now she's arrested, facing the murder prosecution.

More stories pouring to the already suspicious father. I can sense his dislikeness on me when I met him. He kept forgetting my name. That's not a good sign, right? But I chose to ignore it. Anyway, more stories came from different sources. But that's not really that difficult. Cause I believe, the universe always provide things you need, including answers to your doubts.

Stories, of how vicious, cunning, overall-not-a-good-person Maduranese are finally take its toll on the poor father who doesn't trust his son's judgement. He forbid his son to marry that poor girl, me. He used excuses like, "we already ask God about this, and He forbid that marriage too".

And I seem to remember, God has no problem with interracial (or inter ethnic) marriage that He speaks in the Holy Koran that men are created with different nations and different races, so that they would know and befriend to each other (correct me if I'm wrong). And there was this religious man, standing before his faith that God has told him to prevent his son's marriage to a girl outside his ethnic. Isn't ironic?

The decision, apparently, is final. And now he had to break up with me, otherwise he will be secluded from the family. And he said, I still love my family, so much, I might have to choose them over you. Yes, some say he doesn't love me as much as I love him. Some other say he may doesn't love me at all. I say, I love him. And I can feel he loves me too.

Why do I love him? It'll take all night to tell you why. But in the simple sentences, the thought of him coming over or call me already make me happy. His presence never annoying, it's blissful to have him around, even if he does nothing but sleeping, drifting away in his dreams.

Ellis said it was just romance, it'll fade away. I said maybe, but it's two years and I'm still so grateful to have his presence around me. Still so happy to laugh together with him, still love the look in his eyes, like I'm the precious one. I supposed, I am his precious.. :)

It's almost midnight. Two hours after our last phone calls which was last like an hour. I missed him, he missed me. We talk about everything. I know his colleagues even before I met them. It was a perfect life. But why do all good things has to come to an end?

I don't blame his father, and surely won't blame him. I can't hate, I don't want to. I don't even know what to do. Let the time heal my pain? Yes, I can do that. Pray for him to come back to me and his father come to his logic senses? Yes, maybe I'll do that too. Get another guy? Maybe not, it's too soon.. :D

All I want, is simply together. But apparently, it's not so simple. :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

nicely written... :)